This section sets the foundations for risk management and safety in adventure travel. This affords a base for understanding the difference between creating an arbitrarily-defined "safe product" and having a systems approach to risk management, and provides the knowledge for implementing safety as a culture in the operation. You will also see what is in each of the seven sections of the course to visualize the steps for implementing an effective SMS based on real examples of a safety management system that is certified in the ISO 21101 - Adventure tourism — Safety management systems.
- Identify how societal, client and market expectations influence risk management and safety in adventure travel
- Learn important concepts and tools to use in the risk management and safety of your operation
- Understand risk factors and safety factors, and how to constantly recognize and balance this equation to manage risk correctly
- Recognize the key differences between an arbitrarily-defined "safe product" and having a systems approach to risk management
- Understand how this course will guide you through understanding and being able to match your safety system to the ISO 21101:2014 - Adventure tourism — Safety management systems